If an oily complexion, lots of little blackheads or a shiny T-zone are among your skin problems, you already know all about the wonders of clay masks. Kaolin clay is one of those natural ingredients that support clean, toxin-free skincare.
There are a variety of natural clays and most of them act as highly cleansing, gentle and effective cleansers. The benefits of kaolin clay are numerous and it is one such clay that is suitable for all skin types and works as a cleanser, exfoliator and more!
WHAT IS KAOLIN?
Kaolin is a type of soft clay found in nature. Unlike some other clays, kaolin is known to be gentle on the skin, making it safe for most skin types. One of the most common uses is as a mask treatment for people with oily or breakout-prone skin. The mineral in its purest form is a bright white color, but clay usually has a colored hue depending on the mineral content of the areas where it is mined. Reddish hues, for example, are caused by a higher percentage of iron oxide deposits, while a green hue is due to decomposed plant matter.
BENEFITS OF KAOLIN
While kaolin boasts a wide range of skin benefits, it is an effective treatment for an oily complexion and could be a great addition to your weekly skincare routine for the following reasons:
- Gently cleanses the skin
- Reduces oiliness
- Cleanses and detoxifies pores and removes dirt
- Soothes sensitive and easily irritated skin
- Effective weekly acne treatment
- Exfoliates skin and removes dead cells and flaky skin
- Improves skin elasticity and delays the signs of aging
HOW TO USE IT?
The way kaolin should be applied to the skin depends on the product. The most common way to use kaolin is in the form of a mask, and we generally recommend using it once or twice a week.
There are a few things to keep in mind when applying a mask with kaolin clay:
- Clean your face properly before applying the mask.
- Keep the brush (applicator) clean before and after applying the mask. This will ensure that no pathogens get into your skin.
- Apply the mask on your face and neck to get evenly toned skin on both.
- Kaolin clay mask must stay on your face for at least 5-9 minutes.
- Moisturize your skin after you wash off the mask.
POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
If used too often, it can be quite drying. If you suffer from very dry skin, you may want to avoid kaolin. Other than that, there are no real contraindications to using it on your skin.