Forehead wrinkles can be frustrating and stubborn but nothing to frown upon, and there are several reasons for this. The reasons are many and varied, ranging from minor factors such as pollution, staring at screens and genetics, to the most obvious factor, the reduction of collagen and elastin fibers. The eyebrows are also responsible for many facial expressions. Stress can also be a factor, and we have devoted an entire article to stress wrinkles. Read more about it here.
We will explain why we get forehead wrinkles (what are they) and whether we can really prevent them. It's up to you whether you want to smooth out wrinkles with products only or whether you choose other procedures that require a specialist (fillers, laser and Botox). This article will focus more on fine line smoothing and prevention.
CAUSES OF FOREHEAD WRINKLES
Forehead wrinkles are caused by the repeated movement of our brows, but that is not all. Most studies suggest that forehead wrinkles appear at the age of 40, but it is not unusual to have forehead wrinkles at the age of 25. Three common reasons for forehead wrinkles:
1) Genetics and aging
The decreasing production of collagen and elastin fibers decreases substantially every year after a certain age (usually around the age of 30) - and therefore fine lines begin to appear. This can be "accelerated" by excessive sun exposure, poor skin care routine, smoking and environmental pollution. A constant and strong facial expression can lead to deeper lines by moving the brow muscles. Different people have different facial expressions, which vary genetically. This is why people wave different forehead wrinkles.
2) Dehydrated skin
We have mentioned several times in our articles how important hydration is for your skin. This is especially important in the prevention of forehead wrinkles. A robust skin care routine is the key to keeping your skin hydrated.
3) Sun exposure
Premature wrinkling is often related to prolonged exposure to the sun, which damages our skin. Exposure to the sun damages elastin fibers and collagen through free radicals.
HOW TO PREVENT FOREHEAD WRINKLES
Just like the age-old question of whether you can make all wrinkles disappear, you cannot make them disappear completely on the forehead. BUT there are methods that effectively reduce the appearance. Normal to fine lines can be improved very efficiently with a good skin care routine.
Most people are surprised by the fact that they should start with a good anti-aging skin can routine in their 20s and 30s. This is a rough estimate as it really depends on genetics and other factors mentioned earlier. Here is the routine to prevent forehead wrinkles:
- Daily use of antioxidants is recommended (especially vitamins C and E) as it prevents free radical damage. Vitamin C increases collagen formation and vitamin E contains important amino acids. It can be found in many products like our face-lifting oil.
- Use sunscreen daily. Exposure to the sun plays an important role in the development of wrinkles, making the skin drier, more blotchy and soggier. A sunscreen with at least SPF 30 is recommended, which protects against the sun and has a deterrent effect.
- Hydrate and use a peeling. Hyaluronic acid is the ingredient that hydrates your skin and can minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. You should also use a gentle exfoliator at least three times a week to remove dead cells.
- Try retinol and products with peptides. Retinoids have been shown to stimulate collagen growth, and peptides are proteins that stimulate growth of new cells.
- A balanced lifestyle with a good diet is recommended, which has an effect on your forehead wrinkles and your whole body.